A comment that The Slapdash Sewist made about a blouse I recently made, got me thinking. She noted that Burda sizing seemed to be getting a little "flattering." Looking in an old book from the library about sewing leather made me realise that leather needs to at least be fitted, if not actually tight. All those old 80s pictures of baggy, pleated leather pants, etc. really drove the point home to me. With these thoughts in mind, I ran up yet another muslin in a 38, and low and behold it looked the best!
I did a few things differently because it was leather. I bought special leather needles, but in the end just used a regular needle because the lamb's leather (napa) was so soft. I used Copydex to glue down the seam allowances. I applied it thinly with a children's water colour brush. It dried quickly and was pliable when dry; very important for a garment! I used a roller foot and only had trouble when sewing the junction of two seams together and of course on the neckline, where I had to sew over all the gathers. My stitching became very uneven then. It wasn't the end of the world, though. You can see a close up here.
|I did try to get a picture of me wearing it. It's just too dark to early these days! My photographers are all in school or work!|